This time of year, many homeowners are dusting off the pool toys from their long months of disuse during the cold winter. While swimming is a fun, relaxing time and a great source of physical activity and exercise, owning a pool can increase your risks for having to file an insurance claim on your homeowner’s policy. While you and your family or guests’ safety is your No. 1 priority, taking these simple steps can also avoid costly claims.
The American Red Cross outlines important pool safety tips that are essential to follow for any household where a swimming pool is present:
- Secure your pool with appropriate barriers, such as a 4-feet high fence or barrier with a self-closing, self-latching gate. Place a safety cover on the pool or hot tub when not in use and remove any ladders or steps used for access. You could also consider installing a pool alarm that goes off if anyone enters the pool. These actions can protect you from other people wandering into your yard and falling into your pool, which is a liability risk in terms of insurance.
- Keep children under active supervision at all times. Stay in arm’s reach of young kids. Designate a responsible person to watch the water when people are in the pool, and never allow anyone to swim alone.
- Keep your pool or hot tub water clean and clear. Maintain proper chemical levels, circulation and filtration. Regularly test and adjust the chemical levels to minimize the risk of earaches, rashes or more serious diseases.
- Establish and enforce rules and safe behaviors, such as “no diving,” “stay away from drain covers,” “swim with a buddy” and “walk please.” Never leave bikes or other riding toys near the pool.
- Ensure everyone in the home knows how to respond to aquatic emergencies by having appropriate safety equipment and taking water safety, first aid and CPR.
Also be sure that your insurance provider is aware of the pool on your property. Some homeowners neglect to tell their provider and are shocked when their pool-related incident claim is denied. For the best protection at the most affordable rates, talk to one of our agents who will help you find the right homeowners insurance policy. We can compare multiple quotes from a variety of insurance companies, ensuring the coverage you need is at a price you can afford.