If you are going away for an extended trip, or even a short vacation, you need to make sure that your home is secure while you are away. A few easy steps can help to reduce the chance of burglary, fire or another devastating incident at your home while you are away.
- Secure all doors and windows before you leave.
- If you have an alarm system, be sure to set it as you depart.
- Be sure that any outdoor motion lights or video cameras are in good working order.
- Do not leave extra keys under your doormat or anywhere else that criminals can easily find them.
- Have a friend or neighbor regularly check on the house. You might even want them to go inside and turn on and off lights and make footprints on the walkway.
- Set timers for indoor and outdoor lights to make it look like someone is home.
- Have a trusted person collect your newspapers and mail, or stop delivery.
- Give your contact information to someone so that you can be informed if there is an emergency involving your home.
- Don’t broadcast your plans over social media or anywhere else. Only tell trusted friends, family or neighbors who will help you keep an eye on your home.
- Leave blinds and shades in a normal position.
- Don’t forget to lock garage doors and windows, and secure sheds, attic entrances and yard gates.
The chance of something bad happening while you are gone is minimal. But you do want to take precautions to reduce the likelihood of something going wrong so that you can enjoy your trip without stress and worry. You deserve it!